NASA has not left out any alternative to make sure Mars stays a hot topic throughout the globe. But, now here is pretty good news for married couples who wish to spend 501 days or more in an isolated and confined space capsule on an alien world or desire to be famous over night as the first couple to take such a step. A married couple is currently being sought to represent humanity in the mission to Mars which is going to be launched in 2018.
This project however does not aim to land the couple on the surface of the Red Planet, but is taking advantage of rare planetary alignment that would allow a quick flyby around the Mars.
Dennis Titto speaking about the Martian project added, “When you’re out that far, and the Earth is a tiny, blue pinpoint, you’re going to need someone you can hug,” “What better solution to the psychological problems you’re going to encounter with that isolation.” This expedition can test the best of marriages.
The cost of the overall flight is not disclosed yet, but outsiders speculate US $1 Billion. It is quite a testament of America’s Aerospace industry audacity and its adventurous spirit.
Dangers the Couple has to face on their Journey to Mars
- Unlike Earth, Mars lacks a thick magnetic field and atmosphere, which makes the Red Planet totally vulnerable to radiation. Too much exposure to radiation will cause many problems ranging from nausea to cancer in the couple.
- Long-term weightlessness- If a person stays in micro-gravity continuously for a long time, then they may have to face bone loss and muscle loss too.
- Due to long duration flight, the couple may have to face sleep disturbances, lethargy and loss of mental sharpness.
- There can be an increased risk of dementia and affect t their endocrine and immune system.
- Going to Mars is not for the faint heats! It needs great courage and mental strength to come in extreme isolation. There is a chance that the couple starts experiencing mental stress and psychological problems.
- There are actually no backup plans to rescue them if something goes wrong.
- The couple will have to ration about 3,000 pounds of dehydrated food and drink water from their recycled urine.
- The couple would have no romantic walks as there will be no spacesuits provided to them.
- No entertainment. And the worst, no shopping for the woman. Phew.
No, I am not scaring the couples out there. But, yes it’s worth the try. If you are going poor you will definitely come back wealthier, and it will doubtlessly make your grand-children proud of you. Think about it.