The Shocking Dragon Pink Millipede: Don’t Mess With This One!

Shocking Dragon Pink Millipede

Mother Nature has lots to offer from her pristine treasures, while most of them are pretty divine creatures; others are just the contrary.

Entomologists call itDesmoxytes Purporosea, but it’s much better known as ‘the shocking pink dragon millipede’. Its reddish pink beauty might have already appealed to your eyes, but it’s too early to judge this kind-looking miniature by its appearance! As sweet, as innocent, as delicate it looks; the reality about it is outrageously crazy and violent. Let’s divulge you some of the interesting insights about this pinky crawly that you probably haven’t come across before.

This 3cm long, spiny, gaudy colored shocking pink millipede can turn anyone white as a sheet without showing any remorse. Found in the Hup Pa Tard limestone cavern in Thailand, this deadly creature releases a poisonous chemical known as ‘hydrogen cyanide (HN)’ whenever there is an indication of a predator’s attack. Hydrogen cyanide is lethal to humans in pretty low doses(300 ppm will kill a human in between 10 and 60 minutes, 3500 ppm will kill a human in under a minute). The chemical given off reportedly smells like ‘almonds’ and is probably one of the most distinctive weapons against predators and a unique form of defense mechanism noted in living creatures.

It proudly sits with its devil-may-care attitude on the open grounds during the day, since every predator out there knows it is non-edible and an awfully toxic meal. If any creature happens to eat it or chooses to trifle this poison packed diplopod, it is soon going to be completely knocked down and is surely in for the shock of their life.

It got a lot of media attention in 2008 and also was ranked third among the top ten discoveries by the International Institute for Species Exploration.

Shocking Dragon Pink Millipede

If you are too startled by its stirring features and wishing to keep it as pet, then think twice! The likely effects of getting into contact with this is inviting minor skin irritations, discoloration, eczema, blisters, itching, keratitis and conjunctivitis(pink eye).

2 comments… add one

  • Niko December 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

    This is exactly why we live in a nation of arachnophobes. I keep dozens of millipedes as pets, some that are muchh more toxic than this. The only danger is a bit of a rash that lasts for less than 10 minutes. Plain ignorance. Only dangerous if severely allergic.

  • Nick May 3, 2013, 12:10 pm

    Hydrogen Cyanide… Didnt see that coming :o Nice article!

Leave a Comment